Motor insurance

Keep more in your pocket

What type of motor insurance do I need?

When choosing the right motor insurance policy, you should first think about the level of cover you need. In the UK, you can choose from the following options: fully comprehensive, third party, fire and theft or third party only. Most drivers choose comprehensive cover because it offers the greatest level of protection for your car, yourself and your passengers.

You can save money by choosing the right type of policy. Some of the most common types are standard car insurance, multi-car insurance or black box insurance.

Most policies will last for one year, although you can choose to leave your policy early if you’re willing to pay a cancellation fee or take out a short-term policy that can last just a day or a few weeks.

You can customise your policy with added extras, such as legal cover, breakdown cover or no claims protection. Some policies will include these as standard, but if they don’t, you should consider whether it is worth the additional cost to add them.

If you are considered a high-risk driver, you’ll be charged a higher premium because insurers will see you as being more likely to have an accident and make a claim. Your age, driving experience, car, and engine size, are some of the factors taking into consideration to determine how much of a risk you will be.

What is motor insurance?
Can I drive without motor insurance?
What does fully comprehensive cover protect against?
What does third party, fine and theft cover protect against?
What does third party only cover protect against?
What affects the cost of my car insurance?
Is it cheaper to pay for car insurance annually or monthly?
How long does car insurance last for?
Can I switch my insurance policy to another vehicle?
Can I get cover for any type of vehicle?

Don't miss out on amazing deals